Indulge in the irresistible flavors of Italy with this mouthwatering recipe for Italian Stromboli. This classic dish is a delightful combination of savory meats, cheeses, and vegetables, all wrapped in a warm and flaky dough. Whether you’re hosting a game night with friends or looking for a crowd-pleasing dinner option, Italian Stromboli is sure to be a hit. In this blog post, we’ll share a delicious and straightforward recipe for Italian Stromboli, complete with a list of ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and expert tips to help you create a delectable meal that will transport your taste buds to Italy. Get ready to savor every flavorful bite of this delightful dish!
For the dough:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the filling:
½ pound Italian salami, thinly sliced
½ pound ham, thinly sliced
½ pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
½ cup roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
¼ cup sliced black olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
For the topping:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Prepare the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Add the warm water and olive oil to the dry ingredients. Stir until a soft dough forms. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
2. Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
3. Roll out the dough: Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a rectangular shape, approximately 12×16 inches.
4. Layer the fillings: Layer the salami, ham, provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, black olives, fresh basil, and grated Parmesan cheese evenly over the rolled-out dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
5. Roll and seal: Starting from one of the longer sides, tightly roll the dough into a log, making sure to seal the edges by pinching them together. Place the Stromboli seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Brush and season: Brush the olive oil over the top of the Stromboli. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and dried oregano evenly over the surface.
7. Bake to perfection: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the Stromboli is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
8. Cool and slice: Remove the Stromboli from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Slice it into thick pieces and serve warm.